Recently, national tater tot day inspired me to create this turkey sausage breakfast tots recipe. As far back as I can remember I’ve enjoyed eating tater tots. We had tater tots as a side and in plenty of casserole dishes.
Of course, the original tater tot is made from potatoes. Unfortunately this starchy vegetable isn’t one of the foods you can have on keto. For this reason cauliflower rice has been my go to substitute for a potato and even pasta.
So far I’ve had great luck using cauliflower to make mac and cheese, faux tato salad, cauliflower mash potatoes and now a tater tot.
In the end these turkey sausage breakfast tots can be enjoyed alone, dipped in a sauce or served on the side with some bacon and eggs. However you decide to have your tots, I hope you’ll agree that this recipe allows you to rekindle childhood memories of a dish you don’t have to entirely give up.
Turkey Sausage Breakfast Tots
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 14 1x
10 oz bag cauliflower rice
½ cup water
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
⅔ cup turkey crumble sausage
¼ cup coconut flour
½ tsp low sodium salt
¼ tsp white pepper
1 tbsp granulated garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F/218°C
- Place the bag of cauliflower rice in a medium size bowl and cook in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Pour the cauliflower into a colander to drain excess water, then pour the cauliflower into a cheesecloth or kitchen towel pulling the corners together to form a pocket.
- Put your hands around the excess fabric then rotate in circular motions to tighten and squeeze the remaining water from the cauliflower. (can leave cauliflower a bit moist)
- Add the cauliflower back into the bowl along with all the other ingredients then stir.
- Using one scoop from an ice cream scooper roll the dough to form a small log shape.
- Drop each log onto a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Lightly spray each log with a bit of olive oil
- Bake at 425°F/218°C for 20-25 minutes.
Be careful when squeezing the excess water from the cauliflower rice as the water is very hot. I use heat resistant gloves which also work really well when I’m barbecuing over a hot grill.
In the image shown I cooked my tots for 25 minutes so if you want yours a lighter golden brown cook for 20-21 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a small commission for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. These nominal commissions do go towards helping with business costs.
- Serving Size: 3-4 pieces
- Calories: 65
- Sugar: 0.4g
- Sodium: 92.9mg
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 1.4g net
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 4.0g
- Cholesterol: 25.7mg
Keywords: keto, cauliflower rice, tater tot, turkey sausage tater tot, breakfast tater tot