Although I can’t have chocolate like I used to, this spicy orange hot chocolate recipe does satisfy the urge. Of course during the holiday season I have to show some restraint. Especially since the smell of baking with chocolate is happening all around me. And we should consume chocolate in moderation since it is high in carbs.
What is it about chocolate that when we smell it, it immediately puts us in a good mood? Well for starters, it stimulates the brain to release endorphins. As a matter of fact, chocolate stimulates the release of more endorphins than kissing?
Since consumers spend more than 75 billion a year on chocolate, does that mean we’re eating more chocolate than we are kissing? And could this correlation have anything to do with the naming of Hershey’s Kisses?
Whatever the case, I’m happy for its existence. However, given all the signs of climate control chocolate may not be around forever. In fact, if we don’t make some drastic changes in how we treat the planet, the growth of the cacao plant may be drastically impacted. I don’t know about you but a world without the pleasures of chocolate is something I can’t even imagine. So whatever you do to reduce your carbon footprint, my taste buds thank you with every sip I take of this spicy orange hot chocolate.
If by chance your not a fan of chocolate and you need another warm beverage option try my mulled wine recipe.Print
Spicy Orange Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Category: Beverage
Hot Cocoa Ingredients
1 oz sugar free dark chocolate bar chopped
2 cups regular unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbsp monkfruit
½ cup heavy whipping cream
¼ tsp orange extract
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Orange wedge for garnish is optional
Whipping Cream Topping Ingredients
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1-2 tsp monkfruit powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Hot Cocoa Directions
- In a heavy bottom pot mix the cocoa powder and monkfruit with a whisk.
- Add the almond milk, whipping cream, orange extract and cayenne pepper
- Cook on medium low heat for 3 minutes or until warm to your liking
- Chop the chocolate into shavings
- Pour the hot cocoa into a mug and top with whipping cream and chocolate shavings. Orange wedge garnish is optional
Heavy Whipping Cream Directions
- Place the mixing bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill
- Pour all the ingredients in kitchen aide and blend on medium speed (#6 ) with the whisk attachment for 2 minutes. Then turn to medium high (#8) and blend for another 30 seconds to 1 minute until it forms stiff peaks. The peaks should hold on the whisk attachment, if not continue to blend at 15 second increments.
- Can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 305
- Sugar: 0.501g
- Sodium: 178mg
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 2 net carbs
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0.047mg
Keywords: Hot cocoa, hot chocolate, warm beverage, beverage