Chicken Diablo, The devil’s chicken is not a possessed recipe, and no it’s not loaded with a lot of heat, but it’s coated with red seasonings.
Diablo in Spanish means devil. However, when this term is used in connection with food it can mean hot as hell, or really spicy. In fact that seems to be the consensus going as far back as the 18th century. Presently a few dishes have the word devil or deviled in their title and yet they have no heat at all. For example deviled eggs, deviled ham, deviled crab and devil’s food cake. So, if the dish is red in color or slightly spicy why not take on the name, hence my inspiration for this recipe.
This Chicken Diablo Recipe needs little prep time and is great to serve when you need to feed at least 6 people. Afterwards I’ll use any leftover chicken to make chicken pot pies the following day.
I typically like to make this Chicken Diablo, the Devil’s Chicken on the weekends. While the leftover chicken is good in pot pies, it’s also good to use in a chicken salad. You can shred it, add a little BBQ sauce and use it to top a pizza or make yourself some BBQ chicken sliders.
I recommend cooking the chicken in a dutch oven with a lid since it cooks for 3 hours. Right now Le Creuset is running a sale on their round wide dutch oven
I serve my chicken diablo with a white dipping sauce.
Chicken Diablo The Devil’s Chicken
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 6
1 5lbs whole chicken
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Seasoning
½ cayenne pepper
5 garlic cloves
1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Pat dry the thawed out chicken with paper towels (make sure to remove any giblets)
- Pour 2 tbsp of olive oil into a 5 quart dutch oven with lid or heavy roasting pan with lid
- Put the chicken in the pot and rub remaining olive oil all over the chicken
- Generously sprinkle the chili lime seasoning all over leaving the breast side up
- Cut the 3 lemons in half placing one lemon inside the chickens cavity; place the remaining lemons with the garlic cloves around the chicken
- Sprinkle the cayenne pepper, and onion powder over the top
- Place in the oven with the lid and cook for 2.5 hours
- Remove the lid, baste with juices reduce temperature to 400° and cook uncovered for 30 minutes
- Serve with white dipping sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a small commission for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. These nominal commissions do go towards helping with business costs.
- Serving Size: 3 ounces
- Calories: 766.6
- Sugar: 0.6g
- Sodium: 2024.3mg
- Fat: 56.8g
- Saturated Fat: 15.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.6g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 2.4 Net Carbs
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 58.2g
- Cholesterol: 286.9mg
Keywords: chicken diablo, devil's chicken, low carb, keto, main entree, protein, meat